Saturday, May 15

Delicious Whole Wheat Bread

This bread has so much more flavor than plain white bread and gets eaten as soon as I pull it out of the oven! Warm, moist bread with honey on top -- yum!
I have been baking bread for a long time and have tried several recipes.  This one is my favorite.  I like to use fresh ground wheat.  It is sooo healthy! 

I grind hard red wheat and white wheat together.  I also grind the wheat outside, it is easier for me to clean up that way.

Mom's Yummy Whole Wheat Bread Recipe:

(I just use my bread machine, so this is the order I put the ingredients into the machine)
2 Tablespoons yeast
5 1/2 cups flour (more if dough is too sticky)
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups hot water (not boiling, just from the tap)
If you are not using a bread machine or bread mixer then mix dry ingredients first, add oil , honey, applesauce, and water, mix for a minute then add more water if the dough is too dry.  Add more flour if it is too moist (the dough should be kind of sticky). 

Mix/knead for 10 minutes. 

Divide dough in half (in thirds for smaller loaves),

shape into loaves and put in lightly greased bread pans. 

Let raise for 25 minutes or until doubled in size.  Then bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

I use my bread machine to mix the dough, then when it is done mixing I turn it off and divide the dough in half or thirds and put it in bread pans to bake in the oven.


When I take the bread out of the oven, let it sit until it pulls away from the sides of the pan.  I speed up this process by laying the pan on its side.  When the top side is loose, I turn the pan to the other side and let it loosen again, then the bread easily falls out of the pan.

Hint:  Make sure the bread sits out of the bread pan and thoroughly cools before you put it into a bag.  If it is still hot when you wrap it up, it will sweat and have squishy spots :-P

That is if there is any left uneaten to put in a bag!
There's just nothin' better than hot bread out of the oven with butter and honey!  YUM!!!
Let me know how yours turns out .  .  .

Value #7

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your wonderful comments

Wanna learn something else? Just click.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...