Friday, July 23

Yogurt!!!

We are celebrating Pioneer Day in Utah this weekend.  So in the spirit of pioneering, I tried something new and self sufficient-ish.  I made homemade yogurt for the first time ever in my life and it turned out great!  Wow, I'm so impressed with myself (okay, in the spirit of pioneers I suppose I should be more humble, but wow again, it is sooooooo good!!!).  It was easy to make too. 


Here's what you need:  milk (I used 2%), sugar or honey (I used honey), powdered milk, vanilla, and a container of yogurt (for the "start").

 
Heat a 1/2 gallon of milk and 3/4 c powdered milk, stir well (I used a whisk).  Heat milk to 180 F, stirring now and then so bottom doesn't burn.  When the temperature hits 180 let the milk cool, add 1/2 cup honey, and 1 Tbsp vanilla, and the yogurt (I used Yoplait-vanilla flavored).  Mix together and let temperature go down to 110 degrees.

To help it cool faster, I put the pan in a sink of cold water. It cools pretty quickly this way so watch the thermometer carefully. Have your container or containers ready before hand to pour the milk into.
Fill containers of your choice and seal (I used 4 pint jars, then put on lids and rings to seal).

I tried to pour the milk from the pan to the funnel and this happened!!! A fun mess (some pans just don't pour very well . . . I then used a scoop to get the milk from the pan to the jars!


I set the jars in the oven on a towel and turned on the oven light.  The temperature needs to stay around 110 degrees, so I kept the thermometer in the oven to check on the temperature every hour or two.  The oven light was enough to keep the temperature at 110 pretty consistently.

The yogurt will be done in about 6 hours, but you can let it incubate or stay in the oven for 12 hours depending on how tart you like it and how much beneficial bacteria you want it to have.  I left mine in the oven for about 8-9 hours after checking the consistency and taste a couple of times.
Then refrigerate and keep refrigerated.

My favorite way to eat yogurt is on top of fruit.  I'm going to go cut up an apple and put some yogurt on it and eat it right now.  Mmmmmm, Mmmmmmm!

~ Happy Pioneer Day ~

2 comments:

  1. I was just (yesterday) wondering how hard would it be to make homemade yogurt and what would I need to do it. And, VOILA, here you are. I have all the ingredients - I am only missing the jars and the thermometer. Items that I should be getting anyway. Thanks for the perfect post and for including your link at the Finer Things Friday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum - i LOVE yoghurt. this looks so easy - i think i should give it a try.
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your wonderful comments

Wanna learn something else? Just click.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...